February 17, 2013

nightmares with teeth




this is what happens when you watch the first 15 minutes of JAWS at age 5.

here's the piece of i've submitted to Joetta Maue's Down To Sleep show opening soon in Lawrence, Massachusetts.  check link for details.


TITLE:    nightshift gallery – Act I
DATE:    2012
MEDIUM:   applique, embroidery, garment construction
SIZE:      24” x 30”  [girl’s size 7]



Artist Statement:

Two constants throughout my life have been sewing machines + monsters.

Sewing, is a magical process that allows me to make flat materials 3-dimentional or stitch together any combination of elements.  As a medium, it possesses limitless possibility regarding form, method and application.  Either by hand or machine, I choose sewing because it is my inheritance.

The combination of girlie and non-girlie elements is a particular favorite.   Nightmares, a preoccupation with fear, and an ongoing obsession with horror films and fairy tales are forever present.   I love monsters because they are never what they seem.

No comments: